Portland Psychotherapy’s Clinical-Research Social Business Model Published in APA Journal – Psychology Research and Practice
Many of those reading this blog probably already know that that in addition to providing science-based mental health services, Portland Psychotherapy is also a productive independent research center.
How we fund our research
What many of you may not know is how we go about funding that research. To our knowledge, we are the only organization of its kind to have set up a private mental health clinic and research center based on social business concepts in which the profits from the money-generating activities of the organization go back to serving the greater good (in this case, scientific research) rather than be used as profits for shareholders.
What we discuss in the article
We are very excited that the APA journal Psychology Research and Practice just published our article that outlines our model, which we call the clinical-research social business model. Among some of the things addressed in the article include:
- An outline of our clinical-research social business model that is based on social enterprise concepts
- How we overcame the barriers to conducting research outside of academia, including how we created an independent IRB and how to address infrastructure limitations such as assistants and access to journal articles
- Benefits of conducting research outside of traditional academic settings
- How we have shifted the contingencies around money in our model and structure our model such that intrinsic rewards such as mastery, autonomy, and purpose can serve as powerful motivators that advance more communal and creative goals.
- Ideas about how our model might be applicable to other settings.
One thing we are very aware of at our center is that all our work depends upon a supportive community. If you are reading this, it is likely that YOU are a part of that community and we thank you for that. If you are interested in reading more about our model, how it came to be, and what your support of us has helped make happen, you can read the a pre-print of the article here.